MEDICAID INNOVATION ACCELERATOR PROGRAM (IAP)
Expression of Interest DEADLINE EXTENDED to THURSDAY, MAY 4, 2017: Maternal and Infant Health Initiative Value-Based Payment Technical Support Opportunity for States
The CMS’s Medicaid Innovation Accelerator Program (IAP) is launching a new, one-on-one technical support opportunity for state Medicaid/CHIP agencies to select, design, and test value-based payment approaches that support their maternal and infant health goals. IAP will select up to seven state Medicaid/CHIP programs to participate in this opportunity. Interested states can partner with a provider group(s), organization, and/or collaborative in their state to select, design, and test:
- Value-based payment approaches that sustain care delivery models that the partner is already implementing. The care delivery model is expected to have demonstrated success in improving maternal and infant health.
- Value-based payment approach related to improving maternal and infant health that is not associated with a particular care delivery model. (e.g. blended payment rates, enhanced reimbursement for services)
Selected states will have access to the types of one-on-one technical support outlined below, in addition to financial simulations support.
1. Selecting value-based payment approaches based on the state’s maternal and infant health value-based payment goals and objectives.
2. Designing the maternal and infant health value-based payment approaches.
3. Testing the selected maternal and infant health value-based payment approaches with the partner provider group(s), organization and/or collaborative.
This opportunity is open to states at all levels of expertise in value-based payment approaches. Additional information, including the Program Overview, Expression of Interest form, and Informational Session slides can be found on the IAP Value-Based Payment webpage here: https://www.medicaid.gov/state-resource-center/innovation-accelerator-program/iap-functional-areas/value-based-payment/index.html. Interested states are asked to email the easy to complete, two-page Expression of Interest form to MedicaidIAP@cms.hhs.gov, subject line "Maternal and Infant Health VBP," by Thursday, May 4, 2017, Midnight ET.
State Medicaid-Housing Agency Partnerships Technical Support Opportunity for States- Informational Webinar (May 18, 2017)
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services’ (CMS) Medicaid Innovation Accelerator Program (IAP) is launching a new technical support opportunity for state Medicaid agencies to develop partnerships between state Medicaid agencies and their local housing systems to foster additional community living opportunities for Medicaid beneficiaries. IAP will select up to eight states to participate in this nine month opportunity.
The State Medicaid-Housing Agency Partnerships Track is designed to offer intensive and hands-on technical support to move selected states towards building sustained collaborations with housing partners and with partners from other service agencies. Consistent with statute, CMS does not provide Federal Financial Participation for room and board in home and community-based services. This opportunity is available to all states except the eight that participated in this track in 2016: California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Kentucky, Nevada, New Jersey, and Oregon.
IAP is working closely with its federal partners, the US Department of Housing and Urban Development, the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Planning and Evaluation and the US Interagency Council on Homelessness on planning and coordination of the program support. IAP will leverage its collaboration with federal agencies to promote partnerships between state Medicaid agencies, state housing finance agencies, public housing agencies, and other state and local housing and service agencies and providers.
To learn more about this opportunity, join the informational webinar Thursday, May 18, 2017, 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm ET. During this webinar, participants will learn about the technical support opportunity, ask questions, and hear about the state selection process. The deadline for Expression of Interest forms will be midnight (ET) on June 8, 2017. To participate in the webinar, click the registration link.
All State Learning Webinar on Dashboard Creation (May 17, 2017)
So, You Want to Build a Dashboard?
CMS’s Medicaid Innovation Accelerator Program will host a state learning webinar on Wednesday, May 17, 2017 from 3:00 – 4:30 PM ET for all Medicaid and CHIP agencies interested in learning how to develop data dashboards. Many state Medicaid agencies are interested in creating data dashboards, but do not know where to begin or how to design a dashboard to best meet their goals. This webinar will teach participants how to successfully create a dashboard that can be used to support Medicaid delivery system reforms.
In this interactive webinar, states will learn about:
- The process of creating a data dashboard from planning stages through the design;
- Methods and approaches to building the right data team for creating a dashboard;
- Guidelines for designing a useful dashboard; and,
- Common pitfalls to avoid.
Additional presenters will share their experiences on dashboard creation. A representative from the Washington State Health Care Authority will discuss challenges and lessons learned from the creation of the Healthier Washington dashboard. In addition, speakers from the University of New Hampshire and New Hampshire Medicaid will share how their Medicaid-State University partnership supported the creation of the New Hampshire Medicaid Quality Information System and how similar state-university partnerships could benefit states’ dashboard creation and support broader data analytic needs.
To register for the webinar, click on this link: https://cc.readytalk.com/r/2jy7z0q8hwct&eom
Upcoming Public Comment Periods: Medicaid IAP Quality Measures
In fall 2015, CMS’s Medicaid Innovation Accelerator Program (IAP) kicked off a three-year measurement development contract with Mathematica Policy Research, the Medicare-Medicaid Coordination Office, and the Center for Medicaid and CHIP Services’ Disabled and Elderly Health Programs Group. The IAP portion of the contract entails the development or refinement of a small number of measures in key gap areas related to the IAP program areas. IAP is seeking public comment on three quality measure concepts currently under development. These measure concepts will be posted for public comment with the following anticipated comment period dates:
- Measure Concept: Use of pharmacotherapy for opioid use disorder
- Anticipated comment period: April, 20th, 2017 – May 11th, 2017
- Submit comments to SUDQualMeasures@mathematica-mpr.com
- Measure Concept: All-Cause Inpatient Admission Rate for Medicaid Beneficiaries with Complex Care Needs and High Costs
- Anticipated comment period: April 24th, 2017 – May 12th, 2017
- Submit comments to BCNQualMeasures@mathematica-mpr.com
- Measure Concept: Stratification for Medicaid Beneficiaries with Serious Mental Illness: Proportion of Days Covered: 3 Rates by Therapeutic Category
- Anticipated comment period: May 18th, 2017 – June 9th 2017
- Submit comments to PMHQualMeasures@mathematica-mpr.com
If you'd like to be added to the SOTA email distribution, please email us at email@example.com.