Who we are:
For over 30 years CSH has been a game-changer for the most vulnerable people in our country
- Helping communities create over 335,000 homes for individuals and families who did not have one;
- Bringing hope to thousands who thought they would live on the streets or reside in institutions; and
- Ensuring not only a stable home for each, but access to the services that brought healthcare, recovery and training to their doorsteps.
Not only has CSH proven that supportive housing can change the lives of individuals, families, and communities, it also has created a team of nationally recognized experts who are deeply dedicated to our organization and its goals. We attract talented and diverse individuals, offer competitive salaries and benefits, generous leave and PTO, and fully embrace the philosophy that work-life balance is achievable. With the goal of attracting proven candidates committed to making a difference and who aspire to advance our mission, CSH is now accepting applications for a Controller in our Finance Team. The Finance Team is an integral part of CSH focusing on efficiency, accuracy, and transparent business support services. This position will be based in New York, NY.
Why we need you:
CSH is seeking an enthusiastic, results-oriented individual who has a passion for the CSH mission and possesses the leadership and management skills necessary to advance our work. Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the Controller will be responsible for accurate and timely financial and accounting functions for the organization and for CSH’s 31 affiliated LLCs. He/she will oversee CSH’s audits; ensure internal controls in accordance with GAAP; and manage all accounting related activities including accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, relationship management with banks and other vendors, and supervision of CSH’s accounting and budget analyst teams.
CSH is a collaborative organization and in this role you will work closely with the CFO and CSH’s leaders in an environment that supports continuous learning and improvement while ensuring adherence to appropriate accounting practices and reporting mechanisms.
What you will do:
- Manage all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements as well as the requirements of private contributions, loans and government contracts.
- Maintain internal control safeguards for the receipt of revenue, costs and both team and organizational budgets and actual expenditures.
- Implement consistent accounting policies, practices and procedures across all programs.
- Prepare periodic financial statements and analysis for internal and external audiences.
- Lead and coordinate all audit activities, all tax reporting, and compliance with audit rules and regulations.
- Provide leadership and direction over accounting functions and staff.
- Develop successful financial strategies and make recommendations to the CFO and senior management regarding financial and accounting systems.
- Work on continuous improvement of all finance and accounting systems (including general accounting, payroll, timekeeping, expense reports, accounts payable and receivable; and grant and contract administration) and ensure the organization maintains state of the art systems, policies and procedures as they related to accounting practice.
- In conjunction with the CFO, establish financial and operating benchmarks, program monitoring and reporting standards.
- Participate in a wide variety of special projects and compile a variety of special reports.
- Coach, mentor and supervise direct reports, building on strengths and supporting development and training as needed.
How we work:
CSH staff are adaptable, entrepreneurial, creative, and flexible problem-solvers. We are strategic thinkers who are committed to racial equality and treating each other—and the communities we serve—with respect. You should share a passion for the CSH mission and possess the leadership and management skills to help shape how we share our ambitious mission.
Our leaders are hands-on managers, thinkers, and doers with the ability to collaborate across a variety of teams and programs. Specifically, we are seeking:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting required, CPA strongly preferred.
- 10+ years of prior experience at Controller level role at not-for-profit. Equivalent experience may substitute for education.
- Passion for the CSH mission and possession of the leadership and management skills necessary to advance and realize CSH’s vision and further enhance the organization’s reputation in communities that it serves.
- Previous experience with and comprehensive knowledge of fund accounting principles and practice.
- An ability to work with internal colleagues and partners with a focus on problem solving in a positive and customer service focused approach.
- An understanding of the concepts of institutional and structural racism and bias and their impact on underserved and underrepresented communities;
- Strong analytical, interpersonal, presentation, and written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present to diverse audiences, specifically racially, ethnically, and socially diverse communities.
- An ability to communicate clearly and simply, and the ability to think strategically.
- Successful supervision of professional staff, hands on management style.
- Ability to take initiative and pursue goals with minimal supervision.
- The finance team is located in New York but he/she must be comfortable working with virtual stakeholders as most of the work with programmatic leaders and internal stakeholders occurs via telephone and email.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook and NetSuite experience preferred.
- Sound business ethics, high level of integrity and ability to preserve sensitive and confidential data.
Interested in joining our team as a leader in the national supportive housing movement?
Candidates should apply by clicking on the link below. All candidates should attach their Resume, Cover Letter and Salary Expectations as one Microsoft Word or PDF document.
CSH is proud that it has been and always will be an Equal Opportunity Employer